Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Making Room for Life......

We have some of our deepest conversations while on the road. Today when I was dropping Tem and Tess off for school, Tess told me she wishes she had magical powers so she could hear Jesus talk to her. Hmmmmmm.......where do I even start? So instead of pointing out her many theological errors, we talked. And as we talked, I realized I was preaching to myself.

I told the kids how important it is to have time to listen to Jesus. And we have to ask him to speak to us and show us more of himself and point us in the right direction. We have to have quiet time in our days. Then, of course, we have to be ready to do what he tells us to do. If he's clearly speaking to us, it just isn't an option to obey or not obey.

I just got back from a quick little vacation with Kate and Abby. We visited my best friend, Lori, and her daughter, Renee, in Fort Myers, Florida. It was a blessed vacation in every way possible. We laughed. We talked about EVERYTHING. We rested. We laid in the sun. We walked. We discussed deep topics and made new memories and began to plan Abby and Steve's upcoming wedding. It was a step back from my life. I was feeling lots of stress and it seemed there was never time to exercise or eat right or accomplish the things on my list each day. Life was just moving too fast.

In Costco on one of those glorious sunny days, we bought a bottle of Italian wine from a nice little man who barely spoke English.......but he took Lori and I aside and told us we "must use this wine for cooking, and drink a little while we are cooking, then a little bit with dinner." So we took his advice and it took us quite awhile to cook dinner but it was unhurried and full of laughter and good conversation and then we lingered at the table for a long while just listening to her husband Dan's hilarious stories.

And now I am home. But with a new determination to savor the moments. Slow down. Listen for Jesus' voice. I mean, really, I can always move the things on today's list to tomorrow's:) Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment