Monday, November 8, 2010

COLOR BLIND?? OR NOT......

Ever since we brought children of other various shades of color into the family, I have been wondering about the whole issue of race......Do they notice? Does it matter? What is the reaction of others in their ethnic group (not that I really care......). I just find it interesting. Probably because I am an ENFP and I am fascinated by anything to do with people.

The the other night, I tucked Tessa into bed and as I was laying next to her, she said, "Mama, you only like me cuz I'm black." Hmmmm. OK. And earlier that week she had told me that her friend's parents can't be married because "he black and she white." So I guess she does notice color.....

But all of the reaction we've had from the African-American community has been positive. I was a little surprised. An African-American lady working at the polls last week hugged me when she saw the kids and thanked me for being a blessing to them. Others have smiled or given encouraging words. Some Ethiopian people stop their cars to talk to the kids in Amharic.

And although it happens so rarely, whenever we run into people of Roma or Gypsy heritage, there is an instant connection to Robbie.

Somehow it all makes me feel like I'm part of a bigger family. The kind of family that notices color, but more than that notices what's underneath the exterior. And I like that feeling.

3 comments:

  1. cool. I love how you explain those connections...:) hmm...I think that race may be a bigger issue when their older...and you will find there is even somewhat of a struggle in the African Community ----African community. Especially when Tem and tessa are finding their identity...there are so many different dynmics. It will be interesting, Good, perhaps Trying...and also growing for you. Im going to try and come over soon...I miss all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *african----African/american community. thats what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a bi-racial child, growing up I noticed color all the time, I was keenly aware of it. As an adult, I still am. I am fascinated by human difference and similarities, it's more than the color of our skin. Sounds like Tessa is sensitive to differences too. But I think it's a gift.

    ReplyDelete